Sunday, June 22, 2008

I'm here, I'm here!

Hamjambo marafiki!
That is, hello my friends, in Kiswahili :)
I am starting this blog a little late, my objective was to have an entry before I left for the Peace Corps to chronicle my pre-departure feelings, but I think you all know how I felt. Excited, nervous, hesitant, anxious, just about everything . . ..
so now I am here. I am in the Kilosa district, living with a host family, painfully learning kiswahili, eating the food, learning the customs and culture, and I still don't know how I feel. At times I am incredibly excited and at others I am discouraged and homesick. Mostly, I was only homesick when I was literally sick with the flu- a four day fiasco of a temperature of 38.5 degrees centigrade- about 101 fahrenheit, i believe. luckily, i am much better now and enjoying things much, much more! the food here is really good, and yes, i do eat. a lot. there is a strong Indian influene in parts of Tanzania, and it comes through in some of their clothing, music, and food. my favorite dish, so far, is the jageri (sp?) or peas cooked in Indian spices and eaten with rice . . . mmmm. Another one of my favorites is banana stew- yes, banana stew. and no, they don't say banana here, they call them "ndizi" The bananas are cooked to almost a potato-like texture and made with a sauce of tomato, onions, spices, and chicken or beef.
It may not sound appetizing, but I assure you, it is.
So, I am adjusting to being called a "mzungu" by many of the neighborhood children and many adults as well. Sometimes they yell it at you from across the road, when you think they can't see you, but, when you're white, people around here can spot you from a mile away- and word travels fast in small villages. The word "mzungu" is the kiswahili word for white person, or foreignor, or literally "one who travels in circles." I find the latter to be rather appropriate, and funny. It's hard to be singled out and called out, but people here don't yell it in a mean or patronizing way, it's just that they want your attention and want to meet you because some may never have seen a white person before, especially the children. Some children are afraid of us. We have had children run away screaming and crying, either because they think we're doctors, or they are afraid and don't know what's wrong with us, why we look this way. It's a humbling thing, really.
okay, more to come soon, and hopefully pictures too! it's beautiful here, really. palm trees and mountains, very "kumpendeza" or, pretty :)
Kwa heri!!!

11 comments:

Gilbert said...

Jambo Teeny,
My favorite was ugali...it was almost like grits. A corn based dish that is meant to be dipped into mung beans and other type stuff. Chipati was another favorite..flat fry bread sort of thing.
Hang in there. You are seeing the world in a way most never get to see. It will change you for the better. Everyone one living in wealthy countries should see how most of the world lives... You are doing important work.
Kwaheri,
Andy

Jen said...

Miss you like crazy. So glad to hear things are going well....well, other than the flu. I can't wait to see pics!

ALEX N. said...

Hi Cris! We love reading about your adventure. Josh and I are a lot closer to you, geographically, now then we will be for a long time. I'm glad you're feeling better and have gotten over the flu - love you!
-Alex and Josh

CMR said...

So proud of you kiddo!

L'Angelo is doing great and misses you like the rest of us.

Tanzania is lucky to have you.

Driver Numero Uno said...

the following is a list of animals i would like to ride into battle, and would like you to research as to the likelihood of me riding such animals: mountian gorilla, baby elephant, yak, adolescent bull hippo, ostrich, coelacanth, dugong, and african fish eagle. in your off time from researching this for me, i hope you enjoy your time there and have a safe, productive, and rewarding adventure.

maria said...

yay! glad you set up the blog. i love hearing the details. excited to see pics soon too!
love you,
m

Cristina said...

Thanks for all the comments! More details to come soon . . .
gilbert- I tried ugali- it's interesting, texture-wise, but not much taste. chapati is delicious!
G- I will look into planning your unique battle safari ;)
alex and josh- so glad you're enjoying la bella Italia- can't wait to hear your stories :)
ryniak-
so glad L'angelo is in good hands- miss you all!
jen- miss you too! my flu is all better now!
maria- miss you, love you too!!!
love you all,
cris

Driver Numero Uno said...

in case you didn't get my email--the poem i wrote about you (autumn in the empire) won first place in the writing category of this year's ag art show. you just made me some ducats, lalli. i will put it all towards a ticket to tanzania, and towards a saddle for a gorilla. seriously, thanks. you're the inspiration, i'm just the vessel. i don't know what that means, but who are you to question my writing now that it's been validated. be safe. do good.

Yo Mamma said...

Christina,
Hey girly! You made it! I'm so glad to hear from you. We miss you bunches, but L'Angelo is still fat and happy and I've been teaching Mr. B. about Africa and where you are. He's already planning the details of his visits. He read the blog comments with me and wants to ride gorillas with Gi.
Love you!
-Tricia

Unknown said...

Hi Cris. I enjoy your blog. Hope all is well and your having fun. I'm sitting here with mama (your ital-amer one). Your work has even gone as far as teaching her about blogs ;) We miss you!

Mark

Cristina said...

I miss you all as well! Check out my next entry ;)

mark- thanks for showing mom the blog, I'm glad you enjoy it! I miss ya'll .. . happy early b-day to you and mom!

G- I'm so happy your poem won, that's awesome! it is by far one of my absolute favorite poems, you have talent my friend!

Trish- I would love for the ryniak family to visit! send everyone my love ;)