Sunday, June 29, 2008

Nzuri sana

. . . the title means very well, very fine, very good, very nice . .. etc.
So all is going well here, except for a few minor communication frustrations with home. I can only e-mail here, once every so many days by hiking into town, if and when a computer is free and working I can send e-mail or post blog entries. My parents are trying to sell my car and don't have my original power of attorney form, which I swore I gave to them . . . and so I have to figure out a way to get a hold of them. cell phones are available here, but I don't have a way just yet of purchasing one. I will hopefully have one by my 8th week here, but in the interim I can buy phone cards and possibly use someone else's phone (i.e. host mother.)
I like the feeling of not having a phone with me at all times, but it would be nice to make emergency calls or quick text messages, so I will look into getting one sooner than my 8th week.

so, onto more interesting matters . . . the language is still not coming to me easily. I am learning . . . albeit slowly . .. but I guess that goes for everyone here. It's intimidating that we only have about 7 weeks left before going to site, and should be somewhat proficient by then.

my favorite things here are the random happenings that make me laugh, smile, or shake my head because there is nothing else to say about it . .. for example, my group gathers for language training in an un-finished addition to one of our host family's houses. Their chickens are constantly coming in and out of the room, and sometimes we have to chase them out.
A few volunteers and I hiked into town for a beer . . . and realized that they always ask you if you would like it hot or cold . . . I am wondering if anyone actually prefers it hot? I have been served a warm beer here unfortunately . . . because I was too novice to realize that you have to specify "bia baridi" . . . NOT MOTO!

Another charming moment was when a friend and i went to use what we thought were the bathrooms behind the bar and almost walked into a room with a goat tethered to the wall . . . what it was doing there, I haven't a clue . . .

so, some of you may wonder what exactly the bathrooms are like here . . .. let's just say that they don't have "western-style" seats . . .. they are more like the "hole in the ground' type . .. and the fancy ones are the "porcelain hole in the ground" types . . .amazingly, you get used to using these . .. and you ALWAYS remember to byotp and hand sanitizer . . .

do I have electricity? yes, I am spoiled and have electricity and a t.v. but no stove at my host mother's house . .. some volunteers don't have it, and use lanterns at night . . .

do I have running water? no. but, we have a pump in our courtyard.

how do I bathe? tanzanians take two baths a day, so now I do the same. one in the morning, and one at night. this consists of a "bucket bath" which is what it sounds like. A big bucket of heated water and my soap and shampoo, and a pitcher to dump it over my head. It's really not bad at all . . .

I hand washed clothes today and that took forever . . . but people here tend to think that americans have no concept of hand-washing clothes because we have washing machines. my dada laughed at me as I hand scrubbed my clothes . .. and I thought I did a fine job.

well, I better go as the line for the "interneti' is getting longer, and I have to get some lunch. oh, did I mention we're going to Mikumi National Park in a few weeks? I am really, really excited about that . . . I miss ya'll back home.

love,
cris

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

lalls! [this is kristie, btw] love, love, love reading your updates...chickens in your classroom, huh?! i am reading a book set in africa right now, which makes me think of you often. miss you, girl.

maria said...

electricity and two showers a day! what kind of peace corps is this?? i liked the mental picture of the capra meeting the capra, confused looks on both faces...

Driver Numero Uno said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Driver Numero Uno said...

have you a test-ridden a dugong, yet, lalli? goddamit, what are you doing over there?